Skip to main content

Movie Review: "The Amazing Spider-Man"

I was very conflicted as to whether I should provide legal patronage to The Amazing Spider-Man...

This was the same studio which had subjected me to Spider-Man after all, with a climatic battle scene that literally put me to sleep.

They followed this up with Spider-Man 2, which should have ended the first time Dr Octopus got hit in the face by a man who can throw cars around.

The pièce de résistance however was Spider-Man 3 -- which seemed to be 3 or 4 movies in one -- one of which was (no lie) a musical.











So to say I was skeptical when I heard that Sony was only making this movie now, because they would otherwise lose the film rights to Spider-Man forever, would be putting it lightly. Despite all the odds, I am still a big fan of Spidey (having spent a small fortune as a schoolboy purchasing the comics), and I decided three days before the premiere to take another chance on being punished.

I'm so glad I did!

I don't know if it was my low expectations, the IMAX 3D presentation, or some aerosolized narcotics in the theater, but this movie makes all those previous works officially dead -- never to be compared to anything in the future again. Much like the campy Batman TV series of the 1960s.

Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-Man was spot on to the comics. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy and Rhys Ifan's Professor Connors/The Lizard were similarly good. The action was good. The special effects were good. The origin was actually tweaked for the better as well.

GO WATCH IT.

QBF Rating: 4.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSFW Monday!

Good Morning! This is the 21st, and last of my "Body-Painted Football Babes Bonanza" series. Perhaps more importantly however, the semi-finals begin tomorrow in the World Cup! So a hearty congratulations to the great teams who made it: Uruguay versus Netherlands Germany versus Spain They will play each other tomorrow and Wednesday respectively, but all signs point to Germany defeating the Netherlands in the final. Now, back to the babes! We have ladies representing the Italian Republic (the only returning champion I'd wager, to ever come dead last in the weakest group), and the Republic of Korea (South Korea -- who lost to Uruguay in the 2nd round). - QBF Spicy Meatball: Korea's Taekwan-Don't Stop! (Click to enlarge.) Share

NSFW Wednesday!

Part 10 of the "Body-Painted Football Babes Bonanza" continues our special "two-fer" episodes, and features the Republic of Poland (no Polish jokes please), and the former nation of Serbia & Montenegro ! Serbia & Montenegro... Poland...  Enjoy! - QBF (Click to enlarge.) Share

NSFW Monday!

We're back with part 7 of the "Body-Painted Football Babes Bonanza" in the lead up to the World Cup in South Africa ! This edition is all about Croatia , a team that beat my Reggae Boyz in France 1998 (the bastards). - QBF (Click to enlarge.) Share