How else are you gonna check out your photos from last night's party, watch that video you *ahem* acquired, or listen to your favourite tunes on your computer?
- Apple iTunes - I'm not a huge fan of this bloated piece of software, however, it is the best looking multimedia jukebox around, playing both music & videos. Also, the "Genius Mixes" and "DJ" options are very good ways to listen to you music, without having to create your own custom mixes.
- Audacity - good audio editor, and thus perfect for creating your own ringtones (among other uses). My mind boggles at the fact that people who actually purchase ring-tones are legally allowed to procreate...
- FastStone Image Viewer - great image viewer, and you can create your own slideshows!
- FormatFactory - easily convert videos.
- JetAudio Basic - when you don't need to scour your collection with iTunes, play music with this nifty player instead. It does video pretty well, but isn't my MVP for that.
- Mp3tag - edit your MP3s' tags (title, track #, genre, artist, etc.).
- Paint.NET - need to edit some photos and don't have the money for Photoshop? Here you go.
- Picasa - technically not as good as FastStone at viewing images, but it has facial recognition.
- Screamer Radio - gain access to lots and lots of online radio stations. It can even record what you're listening to.
- Similarity - okay, so you've got 10 versions of the same song scattered across your hard-drive. Prune them using this simple program.
- VLC Media Player - my MVP video player. It plays EVERYTHING. For a bonus it'll also play your music files as well.
PS: Checkout cnet's Download.com for more great programs (all verified free of viruses/malware).