Basically, it's a How-To on not embarrassing yourself via your computer. ;-)
- Avast Free Antivirus - great free antivirus. Absolutely Necessary.
- Darik's Boot & Nuke for CD & DVD - selling your old computer? Securely wipe your data from it first with this.
- File Shredder - securely & selectively wipe your data, instead of using the Recycle Bin.
- LastPass Password Manager - always complain about creating different passwords for different websites that you can't remember? So you start using your tried-and-true "1234abc" unbelievably lame password for EVERYTHING? Store your more secure website passwords in this vault, then you only need to remember ONE password. However, no matter how lazy you are, never store banking passwords anywhere online. Works with all major web-browsers.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - scan your PC once in a while if you're a relatively safe user. If you randomly click every link you can find, scan once a week until you know better.
- Password Safe - another way to save your passwords, except it's good for any kind of password, and the archive is stored on your computer. Heck, it's good for saving any information you have encrypted actually.
- TrueCrypt - have files no one should see? You know what I'm talking about. *wink* *wink*
All right folks, next week I'll be introducing Multimedia Programs! Laters! - QBF
PS: Checkout cnet's Download.com for more great programs (all verified free of viruses/malware).